The Housing Choice Voucher program gives eligible families the opportunity to rent from a private landlord. The participant’s rental amount is calculated based upon anticipated gross household income. The family pays up to 40% of their household income as rent and is responsible for the full Security Deposit.
Housing Choice Voucher Eligibility
Eligibility for the Housing Choice Voucher is determined by a specific set of factors. The applicants must:
- Be considered a family per the standards established by the HUD and NHA.
- Fall into the HUD-specified income limit bracket for their family size.
- Be U.S. citizens or eligible immigrants.
- Provide the Social Security numbers of all household members as needed.
- Allow the NHA to collect and use family information made necessary by NHA-provided consent forms.
- Meet the NHA's and HUD's standards for acceptable current or past behavior in all family members.
A credit report and background check may be used by The Newark Housing Authority to determine eligibility of the applicants.
Placement on the Waiting List
The NHA will make preliminary acceptance decisions after reviewing submitted applications. An application will be accepted unless it is deemed in violation of NHA and HUD requirements and regulations. Excepted applicants will be placed on the waiting list, and rejected applicants will be notified in writing. Note that no applicant is entitled to either be on the waiting list, or in a specific position on the waiting list.
For More Information
- NHA Housing Choice Voucher Program Frequently Asked Questions
- HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Information
- HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Fact Sheet
- HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Guidebook
- HUD Public and Indian Housing Handbook
HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program Forms (pdf)
2019 Occupancy Standards
|Bedroom Size||Minimum Number of Persons||Maximum Number of Persons|
2018 Income Limits
*2019 Income Limits have not yet been released. This site will be updated as more information becomes available.*
|Family Size||L30 Extremely Low||L50 Very Low||L80 Low|
2019 Payments Standards
|Bedroom Size||Fair Market Rents||Payment Standard|